Tuesday, February 5, 2013

BS10 Moreek Beast Saga Card Translation

 
Moreek, Sky Warriors, Middle Wave Soldier
"Someone powerful, yet flexible, is a natural force..."


Special Move: Shadow Sonic. His Psycho Lot appears like the Kamaitachi, an attack delivered by the wind.

Beast Data
Beast Type: Bat
Likes: Just Balance
Dislikes: Sound Sleep
Wins, Losses, Draws: Data Unavailable

"Obedient and Honest" to "Rude and Vulgar", his split personality spontaneously changes on the spot. This guy holds the title "Aide to Home Minister of the Kingdom of Gloria"?!

Owlmighty's note: "He is an excellent aide to Minister Mindrill. More than that, I have nothing else to say..."

Translator's  notes:
This one was a bit of a pain, mostly because I am confused by Moreek's political affiliations. All mentions of his job with Gloria Kingdom are in the present tense, so maybe his split personality holds two jobs, one as a mammal with Gloria and one as a winged animal with the Sky Warriors. Is he torn between these loyalties, or is he a spy? It is vague on the card, but it makes him a more interesting character.
His name is a portmanteau of part of the Japanese word for bat "Kōmori" and "eek" the onomatopoeia for a bats voice. an English translation of that would be something like "Batscreech", not really all that cool sounding. Also, The Kamaitachi are Japanese spirits, Google it and the pictures will tell you all you need to know.
And thanks to the poster Moreek. Since you were the first commenter on my blog I did this one for you. I think I will do Wolfen, my favorite, next!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a surprise, thank you very much! I'm getting pretty interested about these little guys and their stories, and your kind translation made me just more interested about this misterious chiropter. You have pointed all the relevant respects of the bio card in your notes. You could easily make a living as an academic, philological or literary translator -or indeed you're doing so right now, and I'm making a fool of myself :). In any case, thank you very much, I'll enjoy the rest of your translantions. Keep cool, best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the Beast Saga anime (episode 7 ), Moreek's clearly carrying the red die of Gloria, the Kingdom of Land, sitting at the Council with the king. Will there be a surprise in the future, or is it a toy/anime inaccuracy?

    ReplyDelete