Saturday, February 9, 2013

Beast Saga new releases February 9th! BS-36 Argyro, BS-37 Mantarei and BS-38 Gueru!

Just grabbed these guys this afternoon after work at the Yodobashi Camera in Osaka. As you can see on the pics, the retail price there is 105 Yen cheaper than MSRP. Pretty sweet deal, especially if you have the point card and get 10% back in store credit. Anyway, enough about that and on to the toys!
 
BS-36 Argyro is a pretty swell design, a nice balance of that "So ugly it's cute" of a real armadillo and the Battle Beast figure style.
 I am not gonna lie, I was pretty bummed about this one when I opened it. Looking at the prototypes and even in the package, it looked like the round shoulder pads were attached to the body, so you could pop the arms off and it would look like he rolled into a ball. But, no, they are glued to the arm, so no transformation. They really missed an opportunity to make this one a stellar figure. Oh, and with the glued on shoulder pads he can't hold the shield he comes with. It can loosely fit into the hole in the middle of the shoulder pad, but looks really stupid there. Besides that, I still recommend this one. 
 BS-37 Mantarei! One of the characters in the manga I have been dying to get. As one of the higher up members of the Death Heart Pirates, he should be a welcome addition to anyone's collection.
 The figure is gorgeous, with some great detailing and those nice splashes of red really popping from the blue armor.
 This one is a little different from the others in that he looks like a whole animal just resting on top of a suit of armor. All the others actually look like they are wearing their suits, so from the side it is a little funky. It is by no means a deal breaker, and I think this is in my top 5 for the whole series.
 BS-38 Gueru, the grunt soldiers under Aladile in the anime version. I was a little sad they are nameless masses for 2 reasons: the original Battle Beast frog was one of my favorites and he kinda reminded me of Frog from Chrono Trigger.
The sculpt is pretty swell throughout, with nice rivets and plates comprising the armor. The prototypes had a metallic silver for the armor, which I thought looked out of place with the rest of the line, but the production figure is just flat grey. So it fits in well with the others, but individually comes off a little dull. As a rank-and-file foot soldier this is fine, but I still imagine him as a Masamune wielding hero.

This is my first attempt at reviewing the figures, so if it goes well, I may add a bit more of this into the card translations I get to.

2 comments:

  1. Nice review! I miss the metallic finish on the armors, I think it looked great, but ok. I was also expecting some hinged articulation on Argyro's shoulders, and it's disappointing to know they're glued. I like this guy, anyway. The thing I really hate is that Takara is clearly abusing some standard blade/shield sets, instead of the specific, animal-shaped blades/shields they showed at the beginning of the line (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=407458299272891&set=a.407457725939615.98536.168147899870600&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-prn1%2F562792_407458299272891_630053277_n.jpg&size=600%2C349). Thanks for the review and, please, keep translating the bios cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man, I have a toy review blog myself and have been reviewing these figures extensively. I love them. I can't read a word of Japanese so I've been naming them myself and even coming up with some fan-fiction-esque back stories. One of my readers pointed me in the direction of your blog. Great stuff. Thanks for the info. -Mike

    ReplyDelete