Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Thoughts on Beast Saga name translations part one

I know there are myriad English translations of the names for the Beast Saga characters floating around, and I figured I would toss in my two cents on some of it. A ton of sites have huge errors in the readings of katakana, making the used version WAY off base. Not sure why, but I can't get this blog to display the Japanese, so bear with me on that.

Lioger- The Japanese pronunciation has the full vowel host from lion in the lio- and the tail  -ger from tiger. Many of the auto-translation programs immediately want to interpret the long 'o' as an 'or', hence many of the sites listing things like 'Liorgre'. So the best translation of sound is " lie- oh- ger", a bit for English speakers to get their mouths around, but perfectly fine for Japanese speakers that are used to vowel combos like these.

Bunicus- This is the one that catches me most. A proper reading would be "ba-ni-ki-su"The usual I have seen in 'Panikusu', and there are clearly some reading errors. The diacritics on the first are the dakuten, giving a 'b' value, not the handakuten that would give the 'p' value. This may be from attempts at reading a poor scan of the Japanese writing. Also, the third katakana is 'ki', not a 'ku'. I kinda like the slightly Roman sound to it so I have done the spelling accordingly.

Dolphan, Falcan- both of these are pretty simple vowel swaps. To get close to the Japanese version of the names really over enunciate the new vowels.

Aladile- another mash up of English words with more vowels present that online translators want to give. I have seen Aldile a few times, but without any vowel sound between the 'l'and 'd' the mix of Alligator and crocodile is a little lost.

These are just a few of my thoughts, maybe if I see some interest I will go through more. I am just a white dude from the boondocks living in Japan, but I figured I would try to get some closer translations in case these never get an American release.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! Please, could you tell me more about my favourite character, Moreek?

    ReplyDelete